Why the Leaders for Tomorrow scholarship?
To keep America on top our nation will need leaders who fully understand the emerging global economy and what America must do to compete and win. America will need bold entrepreneurs, gifted scientists and engineers, the best financial minds and computer experts, visionary educators…exceptional people who will one day measure their success not merely in personal terms, but in terms of how they have contributed to improving the quality of life of their fellow citizens.
In a word, America’s future demands leadership.
What is the primary objective of the scholarship program?
Working with a select group of America’s most honored institutions of higher learning, the Leaders for Tomorrow scholarship program will make a significant investment in developing America’s future leaders from the ranks of young people who have come from very humble and challenging beginnings. With a great measure of moral character, grit and intelligence…with some help from others who see their potential…and perhaps with a little luck…some extraordinary future leaders can emerge who will make a huge difference in our country and the world. Participating colleges and universities will work with the Annexstad Family Foundation to identify, educate and nurture a special group of talented young people into tomorrow’s leaders.
What will the scholarship provide?
A total award of $25,000 will be distributed over a maximum of five years. $5,000 will be awarded annually in each of the first three years with the $10,000 balance being awarded in either the fourth year of study or split evenly between the fourth and fifth years of study. Leveraging government aid and institutional awards, the annual scholarship award will effectively close the “gap” on the total cost of attendance.
What are the criteria for awarding a Leaders for Tomorrow scholarship?
As a minimum, a successful candidate must:
- Be eligible for Federal Student Aid
- Be fully accepted in good standing by the institution
- In the institution’s opinion earnestly possess the capacity to one day become an exceptional leader in his/her chosen field of endeavor
- In the Institution’s opinion have demonstrated high moral character and a serious desire to excel in life, not merely individually, but also for the betterment of society
- Demonstrate significant financial need (little or no expected family contribution) as determined by FAFSA reporting (or current national standard for financial need analysis)
- Have successfully triumphed over significant personal and/or family hardship, e.g., loss of one or both parents, foster care placement, physical disability, severe illness or injury, substance abuse, physical abuse, severe poverty, victim of serious crime, etc.
How will selection be made?
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the institution following consultation with the Executive Director of the Annexstad Family Foundation, thus assuring recipients meet the spirit of the working agreement between the institution and the foundation.
Can one apply for the Leaders for Tomorrow scholarship?
No. Candidates for this scholarship will be exclusively identified by institutions participating in the program.